UFS Blackboard is the Learning Management System for the University of the Free State. Here is a simple guide to help students and other users navigate the system.
The University of the Free State uses the Blackboard LMS to aid electronic learning at the University.
How Does It Work?
Blackboard in the broader term is a Web-based virtual learning environment designed by Blackboard Inc. The software features collaborative course management tools that schools take advantage of to make teaching and learning fun and easier.
UFS Blackboard also has the same functions as any other Blackboard Web application.
With UFS, as soon as a student activates their account, all the courses they enrolled in will activate on the platform. So there is no need to enroll yourself all over again.
Also, note that not all lecturers use the online teaching method so some modules might not have Blackboard components.
Check below for the amazing features of the Blackboard eLearning platform.
- Administrators of the software will design and upload courses onto this platform and students on the other end will view and study these courses.
- There is also a collaborative live streaming feature that allows live streaming of lectures through the platform.
- There are so many things students can do on this platform apart from enrolling for courses and studying. There is a forum feature that allows students to collaborate on researches. There is also a private chat feature available.
- The platform allows lecturers to give assignments and students can work on the assignments and upload them through this portal.
- There is also a quiz feature that allows students to take quizzes and examinations through this platform.
- You can check your academic history, grades, and performances through this same platform.
There are so many features of this amazing LMS that you must use the platform to know.
UFS Blackboard Log in
The login process for the UFS Blackboard is very simple. First of all, you must be a student or staff of the University of the Free State to be able to access the platform.
- Go to the login page by typing into your browser this URL: >>> https://ufs.blackboard.com/
- Enter your Username which is usually, your student number.
- Enter your password and you should successfully log in.
- Apart from using students’ logins, there are also Guest accounts on request. These accounts allow you to log in using a private email addresses and passwords.
You must also note that every student must activate their account in order to activate all their modules on the platform.
If by any means you could not see your registered blackboard modules, then call +27 51 401 9452 or send an email to [email protected]. Make sure you attach proof of registration to the email if you decide to send one.
You might also want to reset your Self Service password by yourself. I have an article on that.
There is a full course on Blackboard that will help you understand the tools and utilize them. You must be logged in before taking this course.
Also, note that Blackboard is Unavailable between 6:00 AM and 7:00 AM every Wednesday. During that period, the server goes offline for maintenance purposes.
UFS Blackboard Mobile App
One amazing thing about the Blackboard is the fact that you can take it on your phone anywhere you go. There is a mobile app for Android, Apple, and Windows devices.
- Open the app and type “University of Free State” into the school search area.
- Now, type your UFS Username and Password.
You should be able to log into the app successfully using the method above. If you have any issues, make sure you contact eHelpDesk using the contact details above.