Unwanted subscriptions drain so much of your airtime and cost you a lot of money. Know how to check subscriptions on MTN South Africa network and cancel them with ease. This step-by-step guide will give you all the necessary steps you need to get rid of all those annoying SMS.
MTN South Africa offers various subscriptions for services like data bundles, SMS bundles, and other value-added services. It’s important to regularly check your subscriptions to see whether you’re signed up for something you don’t like and cancel any unused ones to avoid unwanted charges.
In this simple guide, I will walk you through the steps to check your subscriptions on MTN South Africa and cancel them if you need to. There are five solid ways listed on this page just to help you get rid of all those annoying subscriptions on your MTN.
Table of Contents
How to check subscriptions on MTN South Africa
There are different ways to check your subscriptions on MTN South Africa and cancel the ones you would like to cancel. You can use a USSD code, The MTN App, or simply contact the service center number to get them canceled. Here, I will list five different ways you can cancel your subscriptions on MTN. Let’s get started!
1. Check and cancel subscriptions using USSD
The USSD code to check subscriptions on MTN South Africa is *136*5#. To use this USSD code, go through the procedure as follows.
- Dial the MTN shortcode *136*5#.
- Select the subscription you would like to cancel from the active subscriptions list. If you have no subscription, then you shouldn’t see any list.
- After selecting the subscription, select the “Unsubscribe” option to opt out of the service. You should receive an SMS confirmation shortly to confirm you have unsubscribed.
Make sure you know exactly what you are unsubscribing from before you go through the entire process. In case the above doesn’t work for you, use the procedure below.
- Dial *155# on your phone.
- Select option 1 (View subscriptions).
- You will see a list of subscriptions on your number. Select the one you would like to cancel.
- Select option 1 to unsubscribe.
It is as simple as that. There are many ways to check and cancel your subscriptions so continue reading.
2. Unsubscribe using the MTN App
The MTN App is one of the best ways to manage your account when it comes to using the MTN network. You get detailed information about your account and usage as well as manage your account in a way you can’t do with the USSD MTN Shortcodes.
Follow the procedure below to start checking and unsubscribing from those annoying services.
- To start, you must have the MTN App installed on your phone. If you have, launch the app. If you don’t have one, there is an earlier article about how to download the MTN App in South Africa.
- Tap the “More” button and navigate to the “My Account” button.
- Look for the “Subscriptions” tab from the list and tap on that.
- You will now be presented with all the subscriptions on your number.
Select the ones you want to unsubscribe from and follow the on-screen instructions to unsubscribe. For every unsubscription, you should receive an SMS to confirm.
This is how simple it is to check subscriptions on MTN South Africa and unsubscribe from them. There is another way to do this and I will explain that below.
3. Check subscriptions on MTN South Africa via call center
Do you want to check subscriptions on MTN? Ask MTN to do that for you. It is as simple as that. You can let MTN check and cancel your subscriptions for you.
Simply call the MTN South Africa call center on 135 from your MTN number. Follow the voice prompts to speak to an agent and ask the agent to check your subscriptions on the number. If they tell you, you can decide the ones you would like them to take off for you.
Alternatively, you can also chat with MTN customer support on WhatsApp to help you check and cancel subscriptions. Simply save the MTN South Africa WhatsApp number 083 123 0011 and chat with MTN to get it done.
Note that you will be required to verify some security information during this process.
4. Check and unsubscribe using the MTN website
You can also check and unsubscribe from subscription services directly from your personal dashboard using the MTN South Africa website. Follow the procedure below to do that.
- Open your web browser on your phone or laptop and visit signon.mtn.co.za. You should land on a page similar to the one in the image below.
- If you have not used this platform before, then simply click on the “Register here” link and follow the prompt to register. Otherwise, enter your Username and Password to log into the platform.
- After login, go to your profile and click on the subscriptions tab link to open the subscriptions page. On this page, you will see all your active subscriptions
- You can click on any of the available subscriptions to expand them. If you want to unsubscribe from a certain service, simply expand and use the cancel/unsubscribe button to cancel.
This is one of the easiest ways to manage your subscriptions as well as manage your entire MTN account. There is another way to check your subscriptions on MTN in South Africa.
If for some reason you misplaced or lost your MTN SIM card, then you should read about How to do MTN SIM card swap in South Africa. I wrote a comprehensive guide about that earlier. Read it to learn how to replace your SIM card without visiting the service center.
5. Using the WASPA website.
This is kind of; “not a way to check subscriptions on MTN” option. But it will help you stop all those unnecessary SMS from appearing on your phone every now and then. So it is very important that I add it to the list. If you are with me, let’s delve in.
WASPA stands for Wireless Application Service Providers’ Association. It is an organization that sees the regulation of mobile applications and services in South Africa. The organization is the main regulatory body between the member Telcos (which MTN is a part of) and the general public.
It has full staff available to monitor the applications and services provided by its member Telcos and also gives the general public the ability to unsubscribe from some of the services they deem unwanted.
To use the WASPA website, follow the procedure below.
- Open your web browser on your mobile phone or desktop and visit the WASPA waspa.org.za.
- Click on the “Do Not Contact list” link. You will land on a page similar to the one in the image below.
- Simply provide your number and confirm whether it belongs to a child or not. A child will be regarded as anyone below 18.
- Check the consent radio button and click on the “Submit” button. Note that the Submit button will only appear if you check the consent button.
You will receive an SMS shortly after going through the process. The SMS will indicate the subscriptions you have and how to unsubscribe from them.
That is it. You can unsubscribe from any of the subscriptions using this simple method.
How do I unsubscribe from MTN services?
1. Dial *155# on your phone.
2. Select option 1 (View subscriptions).
3. You will see a list of subscriptions on your number. Select the one you would like to cancel.
4. Select option 1 to unsubscribe.
If you have any questions about how to check subscriptions on MTN that have not been answered here yet, kindly leave them in the comment section and I will reply as soon as possible.
It is quite easy to check subscriptions on MTN in South Africa. You can do that with a USSD shortcode, the MTN App, WASPA, the MTN Website, or even contact MTN to do it for you. Note that when using a third-party service like WASPA, data charges will apply. However, the MTN shortcodes as well as the MTN app are completely free to use.
This is your road to freedom from bearing unnecessary costs from unnecessary subscriptions. Take advantage of this to get rid of those unwanted messages and save yourself some airtime. If you have any questions, leave them in the comment section.