Do you know you can do an MTN SIM Swap or SIM replacement without visiting the office? This simple guide will show you how to do that in a step-by-step guide.
MTN SIM swap or MTN SIM replacement can be done from the comfort of your home without visiting any office and I will teach you how to do it right here.
There are only two major reasons why someone will go for a SIM swap or SIM replacement. One of them will be when it is missing and the next will be when you have it but still want to replace it because it is broken, too old, or because it’s not 4G.
In this step-by-step guide, I will give you the information you need to perform a SIM swap from the comfort of your home.
Table of Contents
How to do a 4G MTN SIM Swap without visiting the office
This procedure will only work if you already have a working old MTN SIM card which is not 4G. This procedure won’t work without the old SIM. For this, there are certain requirements you must meet before you can start the procedure. I will list the requirements below.
If you decide to get a completely new SIM, then there is an offer that will help you make free calls. It is know as the MTN Magic Number. I wrote a full guide about it earlier.
- Non-4G old but Active MTN SIM
- Blank SIM or Non-registered MTN SIM Card
If you have the above ready, then continue with the procedure below to start the MTN SIM swap.
Make sure you have backed up all your contacts on the SIM and also you have less than GHC50.00 in your MTN Mobile Money account. If you have Ghc 50 or above, the process will not work. If you meet every requirement, follow the procedure below to first check if your SIM is 3G.
- Insert the old SIM into your phone and check to confirm if your SIM card really is a 3G SIM by dialing the MTN Shortcode: *156# and selecting option 2 (Internet Settings).
- Select Option 2 (LTE check ) again. If your SIM is not 4G supported, you will see a notification. If it is already 4G, then the procedure will not work.
If your SIM card is not 4G, then you have to follow the procedures below carefully to do the SIM swap as any mistake could affect the process. Before you start, kindly take the new SIM you bought and note down the twelve-digit serial numbers on the pack.
- Dial *156# again and select option 4 (4G SIM Change)
- You will be asked to enter the 12-digit numbers on your new SIM card so kindly do it and confirm.
You will receive a message right after the process above but do not insert the new SIM card into the phone yet. Leave the old SIM in the phone.
Within 24 hours, you will receive a second message on your old SIM and when the network signals show an emergency, you can finally put the new SIM into your phone.
The same code for the SIM swap can also be used to configure the MTN Ghana Internet Settings. In case you need help to configure your internet, simply go through this guide.
MTN SIM replacement when the SIM is missing
Most of the time, when the SIM is missing, it is very difficult to perform a remote MTN SIM swap. This is because most users are unable to pass the verification process. However, if you believe you can pass the verification, then go ahead and proceed.
There are certain requirements you must meet. Below are some of the requirements you must meet before you start the procedure.
- Get a blank or unregistered MTN SIM card
- A second number that you can be reached on. It could be any network.
- Be ready to verify your Identity with your ID card and any other information you know about your SIM.
If you have all the above ready, you can start the procedure.
If for some reason you don't know the number of the SIM you would like to MTN as means of contact, then read this guide I wrote earlier about How to Check Phone Number for All Networks In Ghana.
There are many questions you will have to answer before the replacement and I will list them below. If you can pass all these questions, you will be able to get it replaced.
Note that if your SIM got lost more than 30 days before you want to follow this procedure, it will not work. Also, you can not replace your SIM card more than once a month.
- Which year did you buy the SIM card? (This particular year will be run down or up to the nearest number if you get it wrong. However, if the year you mentioned has more than two years difference from what is on the system, you could fail the process.)
- The name on your SIM card must be the same name as your MTN Mobile Money account, any little difference will render the process invalid.
- The last time you bought airtime must also be the exact day on the system (Sometimes, a day difference is considered).
- The amount of money in your MTN Mobile Money account must be less than GHC50.00
If you can pass all the above procedures, then you will be able to replace your SIM card from the comfort of your home.
To start the process, you must get another MTN Number and call the MTN customer service on “100” (Do not call the call center with the new sim you bought, and do not insert the new sim into any phone until the process is complete.) There is a full guide about how to contact the MTN customer care center I wrote earlier. Read it to get easy customer support.
You will be asked all the questions above and when asked to provide the serial number of your new SIM card you provide the 12-digit serial number on the pack of the new SIM you bought.
From there you will be asked to provide an alternative number from which you can be contacted. You must provide a number that you can be reached on.
Within 48 hours after calling the call center, you should receive a call from 0244300000 on the alternative number. You will be asked to confirm the information you provided when you called the call customer care.
Make sure you provide exactly the same information you provided to the call center agent. If you pass, within 24 hours, your SIM card should be working. If you don’t pass, the technician calling from MTN will refer you to the nearest MTN office.
Can I do a SIM swap by myself?
Yes, Of Course. You can do an MTN SIM swap by yourself. All you need is a blank or unregistered SIM card you are good to go. Contact MTN Ghana to help you make a remote SIM Swap.
How do I do MTN SIM Swap via SMS?
You can not do a SIM swap via SMS. However, you can perform a SIM swap via the MTN shortcode *156#. Dial the shortcode and select option 4 (4G SIM Change) to proceed.
The most convenient way is to call customer care for a remote SIM change.
This is the easiest way to do an MTN SIM swap. You won’t have to provide ID card numbers so you can go through this process if your ID card is missing as well.
For any questions or suggestions, leave a message below in the comment box.