Do you know you can borrow airtime on MTN? This guide will help you take advantage of the MTN Xtra time and also explain the terms and conditions to you.
Have you run out of airtime and you needed some so bad that you don’t know what to do? Of course, MTN Xtra Time is here to help you borrow airtime on MTN. Simply borrow the airtime you need and pay later when you top up.
There are certain things you must know about this service. You have to know how it works, the terms and conditions as well as a step-by-step guide on how to borrow airtime and data bundle on MTN. I will make all the information you need available in this guide.
Table of Contents
What is MTN Xtra Time?
MTN Xtra Time is a service provided by MTN Ghana, one of the popular mobile network providers in Ghana countries. It allows MTN customers to borrow airtime and pay it back later when they recharge their accounts. In most cases, customers can also borrow data bundles.
This service comes in handy when you find yourself without enough credit to make calls, send texts, or use data.
Instead of borrowing airtime, I have seen many users turn to Me2U. MTN Airtime Transfer Codes come in handy if you want to share airtime with friends instead of allowing them to borrow.
How it works
It might sound as simple as just borrowing any amount of airtime or data bundle you want from MTN. But that is not what it is. There is more to it than just that.
Actually, you are borrowing airtime or a data bundle and repaying later with interest. That is more like it. However, you must note that the system doesn’t lend to all MTN subscribers. It uses your usage history to qualify you for the service.
There are some key important things you must note and I will be listing them below.
- Each subscriber is eligible based on their usage history. Also, the customer must have used their MTN SIM card for at least six months.
- All subscribers have different amounts they can borrow based on their usage history.
- An interest of 10% will be paid on every airtime borrowed
- Subscribers can also borrow data bundles
- Subscriber can borrow consistently until they hit their maximum borrowing limit
- Borrowed airtime can not be used to purchase any other service on MTN
Take note of these points if you want to borrow airtime on MTN.
One thing most people think is to borrow airtime and use the MTN Mashup Code to subcribe for call minutes. Unfortunately, you can't purchase any service with borrowed airtime.
How to borrow airtime on MTN Ghana network
If you want to borrow airtime on MTN, follow the procedure below. Note that if you have enough airtime on your number, you won’t be able to borrow airtime.
- Dial *506#. You should see similar options like the one in the image below.
- The system displays the highest airtime you can borrow first. If you are okay with borrowing that amount of airtime, then you can go ahead and select option 1 to activate.
- If you want lower amounts, then select Option 3 and you should see similar options like the ones in the image below.
- Select the amount you would like to activate and confirm to activate.
Note that after activation, you can make calls with a negative balance since the MTN Xtra Time will negate your existing balance. As soon as you purchase airtime, the negative balance will be off leaving the remaining airtime in your account.
In case you borrowed a lower amount than you needed, you can still borrow another one.
Note that you can only borrow airtime using the code *506#. You can't borrow with any other MTN shortcode or the MyMTN App.
How to borrow data bundle on MTN
Borrowing airtime on MTN is similar to the MTN Xtra Time. You also pay interest when repaying for your borrowed data bundle. If you need a data bundle urgently, follow the below.
- Dial *506# but this time around, select option 4 (Request a data advance). You should see similar options like the one in the screenshot below.
- Select any of the available options to borrow. As soon as you borrow, you will get a negative balance but you can still browse the internet.
Borrowing data bundle on MTN is convenient especially when you need it most. But also note that there is to get cheap data bundles on MTN. This will help get more value for your money.
How do I borrow airtime on MTN Ghana network?
1. Dial *506#
2. Select the amount of airtime you want to borrow.
3. Select option 1 on the next page to confirm.
As soon as you go through this process, you will have a negative balance indicating the amount of airtime you borrowed in addition to the interest you will be paying.
How much do I pay on borrowed MTN airtime?
The borrowed airtime on MTN Ghana attracts a 10% interest payment. For instance, if you borrow GHC10.00, you will have -GHC11.00 as your balance. This means you will have to pay an extra GHC1.00 to fully clear your negative balance.
If you have any question that has not been answered here, you can leave it in the comment section and I will reply as early as possible. You can also contact the MTN customer care number if you believe your issue is more technical and must be resolved by MTN. I have written a full guide about how to contact MTN easily and I will leave the link here.
MTN Xtra Time is very convenient especially when you find yourself in situations where you are unable to purchase airtime. You can simply dial *506# and you are good to go.
Do well to understand the terms and conditions of using this service. Also, note that you can not subscribe to other services with your borrowed airtime. This also happens to be one of the disadvantages of borrowing airtime on MTN.